The Whale Museum is located in the village of Caniçal and is a testimony to the entire history of whaling and associated activities, being one of the most innovative museums of its kind internationally.
Inaugurated in a new space, in September 2011, the museum is equipped with a valuable ethnographic/museum collection that recovers utensils and past experiences, rigorously documenting the history of whaling that occurred in Madeira throughout the twentieth century.
The museum also displays life-size models of whales and dolphins and stereoscopic 3D films.
The institution also promotes scientific research projects on cetaceans and marine life in the seas of Madeira, as well as the collection, preservation and study of heritage and documentation on the history of whaling in Madeira.
Tuesday to Sunday: 10:00 – 18:00
Monday and Public Holidays (January 1; Easter Sunday; December 24th, 25th and 26th)
Price for visit to permanent exhibitions
- Single ticket – adult 10,00 €
- Child ticket (free for children < 6 anos) 5,00 €
- Young people 12-17 years/students 8,50 €
- Ticket 3rd age (≥ 65 years) 8,50 €
- Family ticket (2 adults and 1 child up to 11 years) 20,00 €
- Group ticket (≥ 8 to 29) 8,50 €
- Group ticket (≥ 30) 8,00 €
- The price includes audioguides for visits.
On the 3rd Saturday of each month, between 10:30 and 14:00 we make 50% discount on tickets, except for the months of July, August and September.
♿🟢 –Accessibility: Easy ( Access Depends On An Elevator / Ramps Inside ).